The following Code of Ethics represents the standards of professional conduct recognized by IAATH.
Adherence of professionals to a Code of Ethics is largely a volunteer matter.
Individuals will strive to meet this obligation through the following goals:
- They will subscribe to the highest standards of integrity.
- They will recognize the well-being of animals as their primary goal.
- They will strive to increase their knowledge and skills to advance the practices of animal therapy and healing.
- They will take responsibility for their decisions and actions, regardless of the participation of others.
- They will provide service only in the area of their own competence and will refer to their professionals when the expertise of such shall best serve the interest of the animal.
- They will maintain a confidential and professional client/employer relationship.
- They will uphold the dignity and integrity of the animal healing professions. They shall endeavor to avoid even the suspicion of dishonesty, fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, or unprofessional demeanor.
- They will treat fairly all persons regardless of such factors as race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, debility, age or natural origin.
- They will support the sharing of information amongst colleagues and co-workers for the ultimate benefit of the patient.
- And above all, they will do no harm.